Parsons is the county seat of Tucker County.
Tucker County was founded in 1856. The county is in northeast West Virginia, on the Allegheny Plateau and in the Eastern Panhandle. Most of the county is in the Monongahela National Forest. Its economic base includes coal, limestone quarries, lumber production, livestock, dairy, and fruit farms.
Tucker County was named in honor of Henry St. George Tucker, prominent Virginia jurist. Two state parks, Blackwater Falls and Canaan Valley are located in the county. The county consists of some 422 square miles.
Tucker's father was born in Bermuda, came to Virginia as a boy, served in the Revolutionary Army, and became a judge after practicing law at Williamsburg. He published a five-volume annotated edition of Blackstone's Commentaries in 1803. Henry St. George Tucker served in the U.S. House of Representatives, then as a superior court judge, and finally (for 10 years) as president of the Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals.